Sunderland Primary Care Counselling
Together with your counsellor, you will establish and work towards a therapeutic aim. Through exploration of your experiences and emotions, your counsellor will support you to:
- Access and express underlying feelings and make sense of them
- Find new meanings to make positive changes in your life.
- Reduce your negative thoughts and feelings
- Feel better about yourself and your life
- Find ways to achieve a greater degree of choice and purpose in the world
- Develop emotional awareness
- Gain greater understanding of yourself, your relationships, and your responses to others
- Find different ways to manage your feelings
- Explore childhood experiences and feelings and how they related to present day situations
Counselling is suitable for:
- People who can explain what is bothering them
- People who can be reflective between counselling sessions
- People who want to explore feelings and emotions
Counselling can be helpful for individuals experiencing mild and moderate feelings of:
- Depression or low mood
- Relationship issues
- Bereavement, Grief and Loss
- Complicated or long-lasting feelings of grief
- Work problems
- Adjusting to significant Life events and Changes
- Self-esteem issues
- Loss of confidence
- Issues around maintaining attachments and relationships
Who is this service for?
This service is available to anyone aged 18 or over that has a common mental health problem and is living in Sunderland and is registered with a GP Surgery in Sunderland.
How do I refer?
Online: To make a referral please contact Sunderland Psychological Wellbeing Service by going to their website and completing their self-referral form. http://sunderlandiapt.co.uk/
GP Referral: You may wish to speak to your GP or a health professional for some more information. Following your discussion, they may refer you to us via Sunderland Psychological Wellbeing Service
Telephone: You can call 0191 5665454
For more information you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where is the service located?
Our Sunderland Primary Care Counselling Services is located at our bespoke counselling building in the centre of Sunderland. We also provide counselling from a number of GP surgeries and community venues across Sunderland.
What other support is available?
We offer a number of specialist counselling services. Our counsellors working in these specialist counselling services have specialist training to meet the needs of a particular group of people.
Our Specialist Counselling areas are:
- Bereavement Counselling
- Living with Cancer and End of Life Counselling
- Trauma Counselling for Survivors of Sexual Violence
- Workplace Occupational Health Counselling
- Counselling for Children and Young People
- Improving Access to Psychological Therapies
Please see our services page for more information on these services
What do people say about this service?
‘What I found most helpful about their service was the understanding and patience, it felt at ease and that it was at my own steps and pace’
‘An exceptional, consistent service’
‘I would definitely recommend it to anyone who needs counselling, it helped me tremendously’
‘I would just like to take this opportunity to thank all staff and the service in general for your hard work and support… you are highly appreciated by myself and a lot of others. Thank you’