As defined in our charitable objectives Sunderland Counselling Service exists to relieve suffering and distress through the provision of counselling and psychological therapy services.
In pursuance of this mission Sunderland Counselling Service exists to:
- Promote and improve mental health and emotional wellbeing for adults.
- Provide services which assist in relieving suffering from emotional and / or mental distress.
- Improve the lives of men and women who have experienced sexual abuse and sexual violence in childhood and adulthood.
- Promote and improve positive mental health and emotional wellbeing for children and young people.
- Enable and empower users of our service to live independently in the community as valued citizens.
- Maintain and develop a professional workforce.
- Maintain services that meet the needs of our clients.
- Work in partnership with other services in the statutory and voluntary sectors.
- Work to provide any other relevant and related service for which there is a genuine demand and inadequate provision.
In working to achieve these aims Sunderland Counselling Service currently provides the following services:
- Counselling for Adult Survivors of Sexual Violence and Abuse: provides individual counselling to men and women who have experienced childhood sexual abuse or sexual violence in adulthood.
- REACH Counselling Service: The counselling element of the Rape Examination Advice Counselling & Help (REACH) service provided by Northumbria Police Force for male and female victims of sexual assault across the force area.
- Macmillan Counselling Service: provides individual time limited counselling for adults suffering from any form of cancer, and for their families and / or carers.
- St Benedict’s Hospice Service: providing individual counselling and other forms of support for patients and family members / carers of patients at St Benedict’s Hospice in Sunderland.
- Community CAMHS Counselling Service: provides individual counselling to children and young people in Sunderland.
- GP / Primary Care Counselling Service: providing individual time limited counselling in GP surgeries in Sunderland.
- Sunderland Psychological Wellbeing Service (IAPT): We are one of three partner organisations delivering Sunderland’s IAPT service, providing a stepped care model of interventions for people suffering from anxiety and depression; our focus is on low intensity CBT.
- Carers Counselling Service: As part of Sunderland’s IAPT provision, a counselling service for people whose mental health and emotional wellbeing are affected by their caring responsibilities.
- Talking Matters Northumberland (IAPT): We are one of three partner organisations delivering Northumberland’s IAPT service; our focus is on low intensity CBT and Counselling.
- Employee Counselling Services: under contract to Sunderland City Council, providing occupational health counselling to council employees.
- Supervision and Professional Development: the service provides placement and volunteering opportunities and provides clinical counselling supervision, training and professional development to its staff and volunteers.